By Suzanne R., PhD Kunkel,Leslie A., PhD Morgan
"[This] book’s unfading preoccupation with social context, social procedures, and social buildings distinguishes itself and drastically contributes to the discourse in gerontology."
This vintage textual content, now in its 5th variation, is exceptional through its emphasis on social context, social procedures, and social constructions as a part of a broader knowing of the sociology of getting older and the existence path. providing an aim view of the realities of getting older, either optimistic and damaging, the booklet examines getting older from micro/macro, own, neighborhood, societal, and international views. This 5th variation describes very important adjustments within the box of social gerontology and the expansion in such themes as variety, international getting older, and the lifestyles path. It addresses significant shifts in public coverage, social associations, and aging-related programming projects. there's a powerful concentrate on the altering panorama of getting older, really in regard to social engagement, employment and lifetime studying, more advantageous health and wellbeing and independence, and livable groups for individuals of every age. also, the ebook contains new details at the cheap Care Act and end-of-life issues.
The textual content is uniquely prepared, that includes theoretical discussions in each one bankruptcy and topical essays among chapters. severe pondering and overview questions foster an in-depth figuring out of the fabric. Written in an enticing kind, the textual content is for graduate and upper-level undergraduate scholars; it's also used successfully in introductory gerontology periods. as well as an Instructor's guide, the 5th variation now contains strength- aspect slides
NEW TO THE 5th EDITION:
- Provides up-to-date information on getting older and child boomers within the usa and worldwide
- Presents accelerated specialise in child boomers' effect at the greater society
- Discusses significant public coverage alterations and leading edge prone and courses affecting older adults
- Uses special examples to demonstrate the demanding situations of checking out age, interval, and cohort results in learn on aging
- Covers the reasonable Care Act and updated details on Medicare
- Features new info on end-of-life issues
- Presents provocative essays on confident and modern concerns now not regularly coated, together with love, intercourse, creativity, media representations, LGBT getting older, and crime
- Focuses on greater well-being and independence and aging-in-place initiatives
- Provides studying goals in each one bankruptcy and web-based extracurricular activities
- Includes PowerPoint slides as well as an Instructor's Manual
Read Online or Download Aging, Society, and the Life Course, Fifth Edition PDF
Similar gerontology books
This wealthy ethnography explores ideals and practices surrounding getting older in a rural Bengali village. Sarah Lamb specializes in how villagers' visions of getting older are tied to the making and unmaking of gendered selves and social kin over a life-time. Lamb makes use of a spotlight on age as a method not just to open up new methods of puzzling over South Asian social lifestyles, but in addition to give a contribution to modern theories of gender, the physique, and tradition, that have been hampered, the e-book argues, through a static concentrate on adolescence.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Soziologie - regulate, notice: 1,0, Fachhochschule Potsdam, Veranstaltung: Seminar, eleven Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Das Leben ist ein einzig ewiger Kreislauf – Wir werden geboren, um wieder zu sterben“. Dieses kleine Zitat macht den Wandel des Lebens deutlich.
A realistic advisor for employees who've been downsized or pressured to take retirement sooner than they are prepared, Retirement for Workaholics: existence after paintings in a Downsized financial system explains workaholic habit, why it develops, and what may be performed approximately it. instead of taking a damaging method of paintings addictions, the ebook presents a sympathetic and logical method of knowing and coping.
During this attention-grabbing ebook, prime foreign specialists in gerontology and social paintings learn the stipulations of older humans of their respective local lands--Australia, Canada, West Germany, nice Britain, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands, and Sweden. based on the necessity for world-wide sharing of data and learn on some of the most dramatic advancements of the 20th century within the usa and in the course of the western world--the getting older of the populations--these execs supply a world measurement and cross-cultural wisdom to social gerontology and gerontological social paintings.
- Evaluation and Treatment of the Psychogeriatric Patient
- Ageing in Sub-Saharan Africa: Spaces and Practices of Care (Ageing in a Global Context)
- Nursing Home Administration, Sixth Edition
- Brandschutz in Altenheimen und Altenpflegeheimen (German Edition)
- Exercise Programming for Older Adults (Activities, Adaptation & Aging)
- An Introduction to Gerontology
Extra info for Aging, Society, and the Life Course, Fifth Edition